If you are missing teeth and considering dental implant surgery, you will likely be wondering ‘are dental implants safe’? Dental implants are a safe, permanent, and natural-looking way to restore your smile and confidence when performed by a trained and experienced dentist.
Dental professionals have been performing dental implant surgery for more than 30 years. Having implants installed is a surgical procedure, so there are risks involved, but the possibility of implant rejection or infection is minimal.
At Glebe Dental Group, we evaluate your medical history and current oral and overall health at your consultation to make sure you are a good candidate for dental implant surgery and to ensure a successful outcome.
We will also discuss your dental implant options, such as All-on-4® dental implants to replace an entire arch of missing teeth, a single dental implant, or even mini dental implants for implant-supported dentures.
Are Dental Implants Safe? – The Facts
- Dental implants are made from a biocompatible metal called titanium or titanium alloys.
- Ceramic dental implants are available for patients with a metal allergy.
- Dental implant surgery has a high success rate of 98%.
- Dental implants are permanent and are the only restorative method that stimulates your jawbone.
- Dental implants are stronger than your natural teeth.
- Dental implants cannot decay like natural teeth.
Dental Implant Success Tips
Our dental team at Glebe Dental Group collaborates to ensure that our dental implant patients have the highest comfort level with minimal risks throughout their procedure.
While dental implant failure is rare, it can happen, so ensure you follow these tips to encourage proper healing and avoid issues with your implants.
- Avoid drinking through a straw because it creates a vacuum that can be harmful to the soft tissues in your mouth.
- Avoid smoking because nicotine adversely impacts your recovery.
- Sneeze with your mouth open to avoid pressure in the sinus area.
- Do not lift or pull your lips to look at the site because it can cause irritation or tear.
- Consume a soft diet. Eating anything too hard or sticky can cause discomfort or complications.
How to Care for Your Dental Implants
Your dental implants are only as healthy as the gum tissue surrounding them, and with an effective oral hygiene routine, they can last for the rest of your life, although the dental crown may need to be replaced. Dental implants don’t require any special dental tools or adhesives for maintenance. You simply brush twice a day with a soft-bristled or electric toothbrush.
Floss at least once a day to remove plaque and food debris buildup around your dental implant. If you have All-on-4® dental implants, a waterpik or interdental brushes may be more effective at removing plaque. Use an antimicrobial mouth rinse once a day.
Schedule regular dental appointments so you can get a professional hygiene cleaning and your dentist can evaluate your dental implant’s health.
Book Your Consultation Today
Dental implants can restore your ability to chew and speak correctly, enjoy your favourite foods, preserve your appearance, and regain your smile and self-esteem. At Glebe Dental Group, we’ll walk you through the entire dental implant process at your consultation, so you’ll no longer have to ask, “are dental implants safe?”
Give us a call today on (02) 9159 6816 to schedule your appointment and begin your journey to a healthy and beautiful smile.
Note: Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.